WORKSHOPS WITH KARIM NAGI
PLESNE DELAVNICE S KARIMOM Saturday/Sobota and Sunday/Nedelja
October 12th-13th 2019/ 12.-13.oktober 2019
Saturday, October 12th 2019 11.00 am - 3.30 pm/
Sobota 12.10.2019 od 11.00 - 15.30 ure
INTENSIVE Music Raqs : MUSIC LITERACY for DANCE a complete 4 hour course to help dancers and musicians learn how to understand
and teach Arabic music topics without needing an instrument nor any previous training
* learn how to identify and sing 8 important Arabic maqam scales, along with famous song examples
* learn how to clap and voice 10 important Arabic iqaat rhythms, along with famous step examples
* learn all the major music terms, in Arabic and English, that are relevant to a dance performance
* learn cultural and linguistic references related to each melody and rhythm, promoting accuracy
* learn movements and traditional combination steps that help communicate each musical topic
* learn the basics of reading sheet music, to help understand melody & rhythm accurately
* receive a document of all rhythms, scales, terms, and famous Arabic words for your reference
Saturday, October 12th 2019 4.30 pm - 6.30 pm/
Sobota 12.10.2019 od 16.30 - 18.30 ure
WORKSHOP 1 DRUMMING FOR DANCERS & DANCING FOR DRUMMERS
(drummers and dancers together): This revolutionary class will bring dancers and drummers together, to teach them how to perform and interact. The drummers will learn the famous Arabic rhythms, phrases, and drum solo themes. The dancers will learn how to respond to each rhythmic phrase, how to coordinate their body isolations with each drum passage, and how to dance properly with a drum solo. Both dancers and drummers will learn how to both lead and follow each other. Improvisation will be taught, as well as how to develop an entire Drum Solo Dance routine, with a perfect climax and finale ending !
Sunday, October 13th 2019 10.00 am - 12.00 am/
Nedelja, 13.10.2019 od 10.00 - 12.00 ure
WORKSHOP 2 ARAB FOLK DANCE
This class is an intensive introduction to the traditional group dances from the Arab world.
These dances are primarily unisex, and emphasize synchronicity and group cohesion.
This workshop includes Dabka Line Dance,
Basic Tahteeb/Assaya Cane Dance,
and the group-healing ritual motions found in Zikr and Zar practices.
Each dance is taught efficiently as an introduction to the style, and is an initiation into possible future study. These dances are less glamourous than the performance-oriented heroism of the solo dances found in the Arab world. These are the dances done by "The People" in social, celebratory, and spiritual group settings. They can be taught to dancers at any level, as both a cultural and artistic experience. The group movements and concepts can later be extrapolated into performance-calibre skills and themes.